Newsletter April, 2021 Newsletter March, 2021
- The European Commission started consulting social partners with a view to possibly undertake action “to address the challenges related to working conditions in the platform work”.
- The World Employment Confederation-Europe and BUSINESSEUROPE submitted their views and asked the EU Commission to refrain from using a one-size-fits all approach to regulation of platform work at the EU level.
- The classification of platform workers is unclear in the Netherlands, despite recent Court decisions and a report from the Labour Inspectorate
- Recently, an advisory bipartite Committee highlighted the “need for a political and policy response in the short term to this discussion”
Newsletter January, 2021
- The long-standing case of Uber and others v. Aslam and others (2016) was finally settled by the UK Supreme Court that confirmed the views of the lower Courts stating Uber’s drivers status of “workers” within the UK legal system
- The Supreme Court also determined what must be considered as working time for a Uber driver
- The German Federal Labour Court (No. 9 AZR 102/201, 1 December 2020) re-classified the crowdworker as an employee
- It determined also that for remuneration purposes, the company shall not be bound by pre-established fees that the worker received as a self-employed worker.
Newsletter October, 2020
- The Employment Court examined the terms of the Service Agreement, the intention of the parties and the relationship operated in practice.
- It ruled against the classification of the complainant as an employee of Uber
- Spanish Supreme Court held that the riders of a delivery company are employees.
- This decision accelerated the government initiative towards the elaboration of a “Riders law”, with the involvement of the social partners.
Newsletter July, 2020
- G20 Ministries of Labour and Employment provided unconditional support to prioritising decent jobs for all and a robust and adaptive social protection system.
- The B20 released its recommendations on the Future of Work and Education.
- Detailed information is available online on economic sustainability and income support measures.