Newsletter April, 2021 Newsletter February, 2021
- The European Commission started consulting social partners with a view to possibly undertake action “to address the challenges related to working conditions in the platform work”.
- The World Employment Confederation-Europe and BUSINESSEUROPE submitted their views and asked the EU Commission to refrain from using a one-size-fits all approach to regulation of platform work at the EU level.
- In the complaint filed by trade unions, the Court ordered the company to modify its algorithm as to avoid any type of discrimination, give publicity to the decision, and to pay damages for an amount of EUR50,000
Newsletter January, 2021
- IOE responds to the recently published ILO World Employment and Social Outlook Report by underlying that digital platforms are important contributors to fostering innovation, reducing unemployment and alleviating poverty.
- This and other topics will be the subject of a Discussion Forum on 11 March 2021
- The German Federal Labour Court (No. 9 AZR 102/201, 1 December 2020) re-classified the crowdworker as an employee
- It determined also that for remuneration purposes, the company shall not be bound by pre-established fees that the worker received as a self-employed worker.
- The Employment Court examined the terms of the Service Agreement, the intention of the parties and the relationship operated in practice.
- It ruled against the classification of the complainant as an employee of Uber
- Two years after a platform company signed a collective agreement with a trade union, the Danish Competition and Consumer Authority considered it does not align with the EU competition law
- The authority required the company to partially modify their business model to fully comply with the EU law
Newsletter May, 2020
- Eurofound research highlighted and measured 9 new forms of work
- It proposed policymakers to focus on “balancing flexibility with the retention of employment standards and workers’ protection”.
- IOE offered a new range of services to its members.
- IOE called for the creation of a UN-led response fund.